woensdag 30 oktober 2013

Interview with Death Before Dishonor (US)

When saying 'Death Before Dishonor' you immediately breathe out the words 'Boston scene' at the same time. Vocalist Bryan tells us about the last Europe tour with the band and takes you back to his hometown and memories of his first hardcore show. Not convinced yet? Bryan also tells us about the new album coming up soon and it's going to be rad... RAD... RAD, I TELL YOU! Enjoy reading.


Bryan, how was the last EU tour?
Just great. We played some festivals an some small shows. All in all it was good because sometimes it is difficult since there are so many bands over here. But it has been awesome.

You like coming to Europe? 
I love it. I feel that European bands are a lot more loyal. Sounds kind of like an assthing to say, but there is a difference between touring through the States and touring through Europe. It seems like people here appreciate it more. We try to come twice and sometimes thrice a year, but it is not always easy.

Boston is your hometown. Was it important for you to have that background to be where you are today? 
If it wasn't for the Boston scene I wouldn't be here. Boston is a great city with a great scene and I don't disrespect it. The thing is I have been a part of the scene for so long and you see so many people come and go. which is obviously the same in any kind of scene, not just with hardcore people.
Actually Boston has a nice scene; I've been going to shows there since 1994 so I have seen so many angles of it. The worst thing about the it is that Boston is a big hardcore city, but there are not a lot of venues to do shows. That means a lot of shows are happening outside of the city and that affects the Boston scene a lot in a bad way just because of the lack of proper venues. It's easier to put money into a disco venue than into a hardcore venue.

You were saying your first hardcore show was in 1994. Which band did you see?
I went to see Biohazard. At that time I had some metal records and next to that I also had some Agnostic Front, Madball and Biohazard records. So I went to the Biohazard show and the fact that the band was hanging out with the crowd amazed me, it was more intimate and people were going crazy. It was so different from a real metal show.




You are taking care of Death Before Dishonor’s vocals. What was it that made the microphone get your attention?
Honestly... I couldn't play an instrument (laughing). I tried to play drums once... It took me a while to work on it all and to figure out how to sing. I just wanted to be part of a hardcore band, whatever it was. For me it was something I thought was cool. Before Death Before Dishonor I have been in other bands doing vocals and after that I quit singing for years.
To me, at the very beginning it wasn't about spreading a particular message, it was about being involved and being inspired by everyday life to help people take things a bit more easy. I would have done anything for being in a band (smiling).
Originally, if I could have played an instrument I would have played an instrument.


The last full album was released four years ago already. Any plans for a new album soon?
Yes! We have a bunch of stuff written that will finally be recorded in November. It will be out in probably like... February or March and will be out on Bridge Nine Records. We have been touring and had some line-up changes. Our original guitar player doesn't tour so much because he is married to Candace from Walls Of Jericho and they have a kid, then touring becomes hard. When you tour time flies by and before you know it has been four years since you brought out a new record.

What can we expect from the new album? 
It will be in the same line as before, it is not going to be a lot different. Of course we grow a bit, because we are in a band for so long. The record will have hardcore in it, a little bit of metal and a little bit of punk. Some songs will sound like the old Death  Before Dishonor, others will sound more new. Expect a bit of everything on the new album, that is something I like. We are thinking about maybe naming it Always On The Outside or On The Outside, but that isn't sure yet. We are still kicking around a bit.


Tell us about the scene and its changes.
The internet did it all. I can’t say if the internet is a positive or a negative thing for the scene. It simply is what it is and you shouldn't forget that every good thing brings also bad things with it.
On the one hand, it's a good impact: it is great because more people can get access to all music and bands that are around, but it has also negative side effects. Nowadays anyone can start a band.
Back in the days it was much harder to start a band and spread your music. You had to bring out demos and send them to venues or record shops. Then the venues would put you on the Monday night show for example. If you played the show well, you could do a better show on a Wednesday for example with maybe a bigger band. We started touring when the internet already popped up, so for us it wasn't that hard. But for the bands back in the days it was different. Just imagine touring without internet of cell phones.

Any last words?
Thanks for checking us out, our record will be out early 2014, put that in your agendas!

We will Bryan, we will.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten