dinsdag 15 oktober 2013

Interview with Code Orange Kids (US)

Mind your ears, because Code Orange Kids brings you real hardcorepunk leaving their mark on it. Those young American kids from Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) tour all over Europe and the States, leaving the crowd with open mouth after their strong, heavy and short sets have ended.  In this one and only interview they gave during their latest Europe tour, Code Orange Kids reveals their secrets about hair (yes, hair), tells some stuff about the new album coming up and in the end there is a hate ritual which you all could learn something from. Enjoy!





You are still pretty young. How does it feel to share the stage with all those old people?

Jami: We are now 19 and 20 and I must say we are pretty used to it. I don't think about it that much. We have also been touring with Full House and they are kind of close to our age. Actually I think it's an advantage to be so young, we have more energy.




Reba: Sometimes you point it out, but most of the times it doesn't really matter. We have more time to get better and to grow into stuff. It's a very good thing that we are young.


This is your second euro tour. You notice a difference between the first and second euro tour?

Jami: Last time we just tried to play for people who hadn't seen us before. This time there are a lot more people buying shirts and showing up at the shows because they are familiar with our music.
I think bands who tour are more popular. It really matters here in Europe. More than in the States.


Last year you were not so lucky when a lot of gear got stolen during a show. How did you manage to  move on with the band after this?

Jami: We posted online what happened and suddenly we sold lots of our merch because people wanted to support us. Everybody helped us out and that was fanatastic. We didn't really ask for help or support but people just did that spontaneously. We recovered almost everything that we have lost and that is really awesome. The fact that everthing got stolen does not stop us from doing the band. I'm not going to feel bad for us for what happened. Shit happens you know.

Reba: No band started off with a lot of money. Its stupid that it happened, but at least we recovered what we lost.


When first hearing your music I didn't think you guys would still be so young. 

Jami: We started the band when I was fourteen or fifteen years old and we were playing punkrock at that time. It was a natural process since we grew into this genre together.

Reba: We were good friends hanging out all the time playing punk. It clicked very well and we discovered new music together. Here we are today.


What is the first thing you will do when you get home? Imagine yourself smashing that frontdoor open. What will you do after that?
Reba: I'm just going to relax, hang out at home and work. We have been touring pretty much like non-stop, so it will be cool to have some time at home.

Jami: I will eat stuff and spend time with the dog. We won't be home for long, because soon we have a tour with Power Trip, Fucked Up and Terror? We will be on tour until January.


Is there any new album coming up?
Reba: We are still writing on it actually. And we have some demo stuff that we will record in January...?  (Looks at Jami with questioning eyes).

Jami: We'll see. Honestly, I don't want to tell too much about the new album. I rather keep it a secret (laughs).  One thing is certain: it will be released next year.


Where did the new inspiration come from?

Jami: There's definitely a lot of new influences that inspired us. A lot of things will change. Music will be different, lyrics will be different. I think it will be cool. We will have a lot more of influences from early 2000 and 90's hardcorepunk in our new record.  That is something we like a lot and I also think not so many bands are doing this kind of stuff.


Something we noticed during your performance is that you don't communicate with the crowd

Jami: That is because there is nothing to say. I'm not going to beg people to like us or buy our merch. I will thank people at the end for watching, because I truly mean that and it means a lot to me. There are bands that talk a lot and some people are very good at talking. I even like that. But I don't want to talk, there is nothing to say for me. At the beginning I introduce the band, say where we are from and at the end we thank the crowd. People here in Europe seem to be offended by that.

Reba: We don't want to force anything. It's not that we are on stage to talk, we are there to play music.


Why are the sets so short when you play live shows?
Jami: People always ask! It's as if everybody wants long sets, but I hate that. It's not that we are a fucking metal band or something. I don't think most people want to see us play for longer than 20 minutes. When people really know songs, then we play longer. I rather leave people wanting for more, than having them thinking 'that was good, but got bored at the end'. That is something that happened a lot to me when watching bands, even with bands that did a really good job. Also, I get tired as fuck after those 20 minutes.


You never think 'we need a singer'?
Jami: No, I write the lyrics, so I don't like it to pass that to someone new. I like to share it around with everbody, but that is the big part of COK to me. If we would have a singer, we would be just like every other band. And we don't want to be like any other band, otherwise there is no point for us to exist in 2013.
There have been 30 years of hardcore, then it's hard to become an outstanding band. I think it's more creative to have several people doing the vocals.


Anything else you want to be revealed? Come on, tell us some secrets.

Jami: Our bassplayer Joe used to have blue hair, he looked like a fucking idiot. Eric used to have yellow hair with pink in the middle, as if he was a watermelon. Reba has always been ginger and I have always had brown hair.

Reba: That is a secret.


Ginger is the most beautiful haircolour in my opinion. No joke.

Reba: Thanks

Jami: I don't agree.

Reba: Well, at least I don't have disgusting facial hair.

Jami: That was our hatred ritual.









Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/codeorangekids

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten